Tony B. Academic Travel Award
...for Students, Post-Doctoral Fellows and Junior Faculty
Students, graduate students, post-doctoral associates, and junior faculty (less than four years in first academic appointment) may apply for a travel award. The applicant must be the primary author of a submitted abstract and must present their research in either a poster or oral (podium) session at the conference.
Award applications are reviewed by members of the selection panel and are based on a number of factors, including but not limited to:
- Quality of the abstract
- Relevance of the research to the SLAS2013 conference
- Statement of value of the conference
- Qualifications of the applicant
Multiple applicants from a single research group are allowed to apply for the award. However, such applicants should understand that award application reviewers may prioritize the applications such that only one individual per investigator's research group will receive an award, based on funding availability and the criteria stated above.
(Podium & Poster Consideration):
|Monday, July 30, 2012|
(Poster Consideration Only):
|Monday, September 17, 2012|
|Awardee Notifications Begin:||Week of October 9, 2012 (approximately)|
Important Deadline Note:
If you want your submission considered for a podium presentation, your application must be received by Monday, July 30, 2012. After this date, all abstracts will be considered for poster presentations only.
SLAS2013 Award Recipients: SLAS2013 Tony B. Awardees were selected by a panel of reviewers who conducted comprehensive evaluations of student abstract proposals and made selections based on scientific merit. Click here complete list of SLAS2013 Award Recipients.
Tony B. Academic Travel Award Details of Covered Expenses:
- Airfare: Coach or Super saver. Travel arrangements made through any booking agent other than an SLAS agent will be refunded at actual cost or at "fair market rate" as provided by SLAS agent, whichever is lower. Maximum funding for airfare limits are set by SLAS and communicated during the confirmation process. These funding limites are subject to change by SLAS.
- Personal Auto: Mileage will be reimbursed (only in lieu of airfare) at the 2013 IRS standard as published by the United States Government. Rental cars and/or parking are not reimbursed under any circumstances.
- Conference Registration & Short Courses: Full conference registration as well as registration for a one-day short course (space limited for short courses) is included. Any costs associated with required text books or computers will be the responsibility of the individual. If an awardee chooses a two-day course, the additional day will be the responsibility of the individual, at the student rate of $25/day.
- Accommodations: Accommodations will be provided by the SLAS housing office on a shared basis for a maximum of 4 nights (2 people per room) at an official SLAS hotel. If award recipient does not wish to share a room, then half of hotel cost will be reimbursed (2 nights).
Travel awards do not include a per-diem for food, rental car reimbursement, ground transportation, parking, taxi service or other incidental expenses. Most meals are included with conference registration.
Award Application Process:
To submit for consideration for this award you must submit an abstract via the SLAS2013 Call for Abstracts. To view abstract submission guidelines or to begin the submission process, please click here.
During the abstract submission process, you will be given the option to opt in to participate in the award. You will be required to provide:
- Abstract Submission including title, presenter and author information.
- Contact information and letter of support from a faculty mentor or department chairperson.
- You will be required to upload you letter of support during the abstract submission process. (doc, docx, pdf)
- Brief statement of perceived value for attending SLAS2013.
- Maximum 50 words.
Please contact Amy McGorry, SLAS Manager of Events and Education at email@example.com.